Thursday, April 4, 2013

Produce Muthafuckas!





Look at that box. I want to make mouth love to that box. This is what greeted me this morning when I woke up. One hefty box of organic, local and sustainable food. Yes please.

Allow me to get weird for a moment. I love Thursday mornings. Thursday morning’s are when we get our Farm Fresh to You delivery. It’s like a present once a week. No clue what’s going to be in the box or how the hell we’re going to cook it all before it goes bad. It’s like a game. But with food. My favorite kind of game.

Contents of this week’s box:
4 - Yakima Fuji Apples
4 - Riverside Valencia Orange
1 - Salinas Strawberries
2 – Avocados
1 - lemon
1 – bunch Holtville Assorted Lettuce
1 – bunch funky mushrooms
1 - bunch Carrots
1 - bunch Capay Bunched Arugula
3 stalks - Salinas Green Asparagus

I’ve gotten so good at making these boxes work that I can quickly tell you when, where and how each piece will be eaten. We eat so much produce in this household I’m willing to bet we’re back at the grocery store by Sunday to reload.
  

Let’s break it down:

Apples: Packed in my lunch for work, Mashed up in Bubba’s breakfast. To say we eat an apple a day is a gross understatement.

Oranges: Nighttime snack. Tastes like candy.

Strawberries: Cut up and put in the fridge for quick snacks. If I don’t prep snacks for my wife, she won’t eat. Weird, I know.

Avocados: This is a challenge. These are always tricky and don’t age as well or ripen as uniformly as the Haas variety you buy in the stores. Most likely I’ll need to bring these for lunch and try to incorporate them into something I’ve cooked. Or throw it on a Man Salad. Or wait for them to rot and throw them at the neighbors.

Lemon: The secret ingredient to make any smoothie taste like it's been supercharged. Not sure what that means. But squeeze a lemon in your smoothie and you'll thank me later.

Lettuce: Man Salads and/or for a morning smoothie.

Funky Mushrooms: Who the fuck knows?! What are those things? They look like a goose barnacle.

Carrots: Steamed for bubba. Or a perfect snack when I'm super hungry and wanting to devour the entire jar of peanut butter. I usually force myself to eat a carrot or 2 and my hunger subsides. Not my desire to take down of jar of peanut butter. That's with me always.

Arugula: Two bunches of lettuce and they are telling me one is Arugula and one is Lettuce. This makes no sense. Doesn't matter. These have Man Salad and/or smoothie written all over them.

Asparagus: 3 stalks?! Are you fucking kidding me? What the fuck are we supposed to do with just 3 stalks? Steam 'em and enjoy the sweet aroma in our piss, that's what. 

Produce. Mutha fuckas!





No comments:

Post a Comment