Monday, April 1, 2013

Man Salad





The Man Salad.

My wife invented the term 'Man Salad'. No seriously, she did. It was summer of 2003. Sean Paul was telling us to 'Get Busy' and then a bunch of other jumbled words nobody could figure out. And Lindsay Lohan put together a critically acclaimed performance in Freaky Friday. Fantastic movie. Except when they insult the White Stripes. My wife and I were just starting to date. I was a good 35-40lbs heavier then I currently am and she saw an opportunity to help me eat healthier. We worked together and at lunch she'd ask if I wanted to join her for a salad. But instead of insulting my manhood, she deemed them a Man Salad, since they came stacked with fixin's. Then I nailed her.

Let's talk Man Salads. The easiest meal around. A staple of our household. A great way to get a ton of greens while still feeling like you’re eating a substantial meal. The more stuff in it the better. I’ll throw whatever is available, garbanzo beans, salsa, even cottage cheese in the mix. But what’s below is the tried and true formula. 

Man Salad
  • Baby Spinach
  • Feta cheese crumbled
  • Grilled Chicken
  • Almonds, roasted in a pan with a dash of olive oil. Let cool before putting in salad.
  • Carrots
  • Hard Boiled Egg
  • Avocado
  • Shallot, diced

Papa’s Balsamic Vinaigrette –
  • 1 part Olive Oil
  • 1 part Balsamic Vinegar
  • Dash of minced onion
  • Dash of garlic powder
  • Dash of sea salt

Mix together and shake until it’s good to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment